Confirmation, as defined by the Catechism of the Catholic Church, is "one of three Sacraments of Initiation into the Church, together with Baptism and Eucharist. Confirmation perfects Baptismal grace; it is the sacrament which gives the Holy Spirit in order to root us more deeply in the divine filiation, incorporate us more firmly into Christ, strengthen our bond with the Church, associate us more closely with her mission, and help us bear witness to the Christian faith in words accompanied by deeds." (CCC 1316).
St. Thomas More provides two opportunities for high school students to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation - Summer or Fall Sessions. The High School Confirmation program is well-rounded and dynamic. We educate youth in Scripture, the importance of Mass and the Eucharist, prayer and the Sacraments, as well as promote engagement in the parish community and service to the less-fortunate. Classes are set-up to engage students in spiritual experiences via small group discussions facilitated by adult and peer leaders. We invite priests, deacons and special guests to speak to the class about relevant and current faith topics. The students learn about their faith, their relationship with God and more importantly, themselves and how they impact the lives of others. Our hope is to walk through this faith journey with the students to help transform their hearts, deepen their faith and change their life!!!
High school students going to 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th grade in the Fall of 2014 who have been baptized Catholic and have received their First Communion are highly encouraged to register. A copy of the Baptism and First Communion certificate must also be submitted with the registration.
The High School Confirmation Program offers TWO SESSIONS:
SUMMER OPTION: Eleven days intensive class in the Summer (July 15-17 and July 22-26, 2014)
*Registration DEADLINE for the Summer Program is June 30th*
- Class will attend daily Mass for the session
- Class will go to two field trip destinations
- Class will attend the Steubenville Weekend Retreat, July 18-20, 2014 (separate fees & form)
- Class will attend a once-a-month Bible Study (September 2014 to March 2015)
FALL OPTION: Two Sundays a month class (September 2014 to April 2015)
*Registration DEADLINE for the Fall Program is September 1st*
- Class will attend the 5:30 LifeTeen Mass for the session
- Class will attend the Fall Weekend Retreat, October 10-12, 2014 (separate fees & form)
Students are required to complete the following components during their Confirmation preparation:
1. Catechesis. Classroom based and off-site field trips.
2. Weekend Retreat. Steubenville of the Rockies in July and/or Fall Weekend Retreat in October (separate fees & form)
3. Parish Involvement. Youth Ministry participation must be completed during the preparation year (separate fees & form)
4. Faith In Action. Minimum eight hours of service to be completed during the preparation year (at least four hours within the parish and four hours in the community)
*A Candidate Interview in April 2015 will be conducted by the Program Director or Catechist to review the preparation year and help the students reflect on their upcoming ceremony.
Parents & sponsors play an important role in the preparation of the students. We partner with you to ensure you get the support and help you need on this endeavor. Your attendance is required at all parent/sponsor support classes.